FLORIDA STATE UNIVERSITY Tallahassee, FL
PhD: English with a Creative Dissertation: May 2015
Major Area of Concentration: Poetry
Minor Area of Concentration: Critical Theory
OHIO UNIVERSITY Athens, OH
MA: English:Creative Writing:June 2009
Certificate:Women and Gender Studies: June 2009
MEd: College Student Personnel: June 1999
BSEd: English Comprehensive 7-12: June 1997
Certificate: Reading K-12: June 1997
- “The Shape of the Body, 1979,” Sweet: A Literary Confection, Summer 2015.
- “Etsy Keeps Her in Black Stockings and Poppies,” Star*Line, Summer 2015.
- “Hopping Fences II,” Stirring: A Literary Collection, June 2015.
- “Dear Men of Nielsen Families, Age 18-35,” Amazon’s Day One, May 2015.
- “It Is Right and Just to Lose One’s Skin,” Southern Women’s Review, Spring 2015.
- “After You Smile and Nod, I Know You Don’t Understand,” Spring, 2015.
- “Prayer of My Laboring Mother,” Mom Egg, Spring 2015.
- “Reminder to Myself: Things Not to Say at Dinner Parties,” Green Briar Review, Winter 2015.
- “I, Quadling,” Non-Binary Review, Winter 2015.
- “caution: do not use with mono devices,” Every River on Earth: Writing from Appalachian Ohio, Ohio University Press, 2015.
- “Dorothy, Returning,” Gingerbread House, August 2014.
- “Not Understanding Confinement, the Selkie Doesn’t See the Big Deal about Shoes,” Spoon River Poetry Review, Summer 2014.
- “Midwestern Selkie Girl,” Goblin Fruit, May 2014.
- “Two Universal Truths and a Lie (in no particular order),” The Tampa Review, Spring 2014.
- “Sometimes You Miss the Water” and “Spell to Ward Away the Future,” Court Green, Spring 2014.
- “In a Vacant Lot” and “This is Not to Say,” HuesoLoco, Fall 2013.
- “Spell No One Said at Her Birth,” Science Fiction Poetry Association website, September 2013.
- “Controlling Nothing, the Selkie Sends a Message Through the Water,” Prairie Schooner, Fall 2013.
- “Salvia, Reblooming,” The Journal of Compressed Literary Arts, July 2013.
- “Rear Window, Suburban Style,” The Laurel Review, Spring 2013.
- “We Have Our Music Too,” WomenArts Quarterly Journal, Fall 2012.
- “Prayer of a Third Wave Post-Feminist Barbie,” Barbie in a Blender, Kind of a Hurricane Press, 2013.
- “You, Motorcycle, Me, Mini Van” and “Late Night Creature Feature,” Vinyl Poetry, Fall 2012.
- “Upon being Asked for a Scary Poem,” Medulla Review, Spring 2012.
- “Vacation of the Tomboys,” Earth’s Daughters, 40th Anniversary Invitational Issue, Winter 2012.
- “Little Things (that add up to wintertime comfort),” Fugue, Spring/Summer 2011.
- “What Dreams May Come,” in Flashlight Memories by Silver Boomer Books, 2011.
- “A Crash Course in the Philosophy of Passion,” The Laurel Review, Fall 2010.
- “Film Noir at the Courthouse Door,” More-Than-Honorable Mention, Triolet Challenge, Roundeau Roundup, February 2010.
- “Natatorium: The Showers,” Earth’s Daughters, Winter 2009/10.
- “Nourishment,” and “Advertisement for Fall,” Review Americana, Fall 2009.
- “Cropping,” Earth’s Daughters, Winter 2008.
- “While Lady Libby is Out Cold, Uncle Sam Makes a Shopping List,” HazMat Literary Review, Spring 2007.
- “Performance Anxiety,” The Blotter, May 2006.
- “Road Trip,” Fresh Picked Prose, WFSU, Tallahassee, FL, August 2015.
- “Disappointment Derby,” Fresh Picked Prose, WFSU, Tallahassee, FL, August 2015.
- “Housekeeping,” Sundress Summer Flash Showdown, 4th week runner-up, August 2015.
- “Cindy and the Anole,” Quantum Fairy Tale Review, Winter 2015.
- “Either You’re In or You’re Out,” Curbside Splendor E-Zine, October 2014.
Nonfiction (including peer reviewed)
- “The Swing,” Fresh Picked Prose on WFSU, Tallahassee, FL, May 2015.
- “A Rare Breed,” Fresh Picked Prose on WFSU, Tallahassee, FL, April 2015.
- “The Earth Is All Before Us: Revisiting the Urban Peripatetic Experience.” Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature and the Environment (peer reviewed), Autumn 2013.
- “Top Five Writerly Snack Foods.” Journal of Compressed Creative Arts, blog, May 2013.
- “Statement on Compression: William Carlos Williams.” Journal of Compressed Creative Arts, blog, January 2013.
- “Reforming the Bearded Lady.” Womanhouse v4.0, the University of Nebraska, Spring 2012.
- “Statement on Compression: de Certeau.” Journal of Compressed Creative Arts, blog, October 2011.
- “No Wonder.” Rescue: Inspiring Perspectives on Life and Style 8 (2005), 16-17.
- “Academic Courses in Event Planning.” Campus Programming 37:4 (2004), 72-74.
- “Watering Marigolds: On Helping Students Grow and Flourish.” About Campus 6:2 (2001), 25-27.
Interviews and Book Reviews
- “Brain Fever: Kimiko Hahn: Review.” Pleiades, forthcoming Winter 2016.
- “The Small Blades Hurt: Erica Dawson: Review.” Pleiades, forthcoming Winter 2016.
- “And Short the Season: Maxine Kumin: Review.” Pleiades, Summer 2015.
- “Clown at Midnight: Andrew Hudgins: Review.” Pleiades, Winter 2015.
- “Electricity and Other Dreams: Micah Dean Hicks: Review.” Pleiades, Winter 2015.
- “Interview: Annie Finch: Turning Back Toward the Heart.” The Southeast Review, Fall 2014.
- “Vow: Rebecca Hazelton: Review.” Pleiades, Summer 2014.
- “Nostalgia for the Criminal Past: Kathleen Winter: Review.” Pleiades, Winter 2014.
- “What Things Are Made of: Charles Harper Webb: Review.” Pleiades, Winter 2014.
- “Panic Attack, USA: Nate Slawson: Review.” Pleiades, Summer 2013.
- “The Meaning of Joy: Joy Ladin: Review.” Pleiades, Summer 2013.
- “Q&A with Catie Rosemurgy.” Southeast Review, Spring 2013 on-line issue.
- “Click and Clone: Elaine Equi: Review.” Pleiades, Winter 2013.
- “Q&A with Kathryn Nuernberger.” Southeast Review, Fall 2012 on-line issue.
- “Lucky Fish: Aimee Nezhukumatathil: Review.” Pleiades, Spring 2012.
- “The World Falls Away: Wanda Coleman: Review.” Pleiades, Spring 2012.
- “Q&A with David Trinidad.” Southeast Review, Spring 2012 on-line issue.
- “An Interview with Wendy Lesser of Three Penny Review.” Portal del Sol, Spring 2012.
- “Q&A with J. Allyn Rosser.” Southeast Review, Fall 2011 on-line issue.
- “Flair, Talent, Edge, and Zing: An Interview with Mark Halliday.” Southeast Review, Fall 2011.
- “By Myself: D.A. Powell and David Trinidad: Review.” Quarter After Eight, Spring 2010.
- “The Late Show: David Trinidad: Review.” Rattle, E-review section posted December 2007.
Readings and Presentations
- “I’m Not Your Therapist: Creativogenic vs. Therapeutic Environments,” Creative Writing and Innovative Pedagogies Conference, University of Central Missouri, forthcoming October 2015.
- “Speculative Poetry: Basics”, Tallahassee Writer’s Association, July 2015.
- Poetry Reading, Warehouse Reading Series, Tallahassee, FL, September 2014.
- Organizer and Moderator: “Labor of Love: Working with Volunteer Staff,” AWP 2014.
- Poetry Reading, Warehouse Reading Series, Tallahassee, FL, July 2013.
- Poetry Reading, Warehouse Reading Series, Tallahassee, FL, July 2012.
- Panel Organizer: “Child’s Play: Graduate Student Run Journals,” AWP 2012.
- Poetry Reading, A YesYes Books Celebration, Tallahassee, FL, September 2011.
- Poetry Reading, Women’s Writes: A Celebration of Herstory, Tallahassee, FL, March 2011.
- Paper Presented, “Reforming the Bearded Lady: PCOS and Personal Decision-Making in the Physical Realm,” Mid-America Humanities Conference, Lawrence, KS, March 12, 2011.
- Poetry Reading, Warehouse Reading Series, Tallahassee, FL, November 2010.
- Poetry Reading, What’s So Funny?: Conference on Humor, Athens, OH, October 2008.
English Department, Florida State University
- Visiting Lecturer, 2015-present
- Director of Editing Internships, 2015- present
- Teaching Assistant, 2010-2015
- Advisor, Kudzu Review (undergraduate literary journal), 5/13-12/14
- Tutor, Reading and Writing Center, Spring 2011
- Poetry Editor, The Southeast Review, 9/11-5/14
- Assistant Poetry Editor, The Southeast Review, 9/10-9/11
College of Arts and Sciences Office of Undergraduate Student Affairs, Ohio University
- Academic Advisor, Pre-Law and Undecided, 6/09-7/10
English Department, Ohio University
- Editor, Quarter After Eight, 6/09-6/10
- Book Review Editor, Quarter After Eight, 6/08-6/10
- Reader, New Ohio Review, 9/07-6/10
- Teaching Assistant, 9/07-6/09
- Graduate Publications Assistant for New Ohio Review and Brevity, 9/08-6/09
Women’s and Gender Studies Program, Ohio University
- Administrative Assistant, 9/04-8/07
The Office of Student Activities, Ohio University
- Assistant Director for Campus Programs, 7/02-8/04
- Program Coordinator for Campus Programs, 1/01-6/02
- Graduate Associate for Leadership Development, 9/97-6/99
University College, Ohio University
- Academic Adviser for Undecided Students, 9/02-6/04 and 6/09-7/10
The Office of Residential Life and New Student Programs, Miami University
- First Year Academic Adviser and Hall Director: Leadership, Excellence and Community, 6/00-12/00
- First Year Academic Adviser and Hall Director: Scholastic Enhancement Program (TRIO), 7/99-5/00
Florida State University
ADE 4830: Writing and Leadership: Literary Citizenship and the Modern Writer
CRW 3311: Poetic Technique: Narrative Rhythms
CRW 3110: Fiction Technique
ENC 1102: Freshman Writing and Research: Researching Careers and Majors
ENC 1101: Freshman Composition and Rhetoric: This Ain’t Your FCAT’s Five Paragraph Essay
ENC 3310: Article and Essay Technique
ENC 3310: Article and Essay Technique: Immersion Writing
ENC 3416: Writing, Editing, and Publishing On-Line
LIT 2020: The Short Story: The Mystery of Class
EDCP 400: Special Topics: Program and Event Planning
EDCP 400: Special Topics: Dynamics of Organizational Leadership
ENG 151: Writing and Rhetoric
ENG 151: Writing and Rhetoric (Commuter Student Section)
ENG 153: Special Topics: Memory
ENG 152: Writing and Reading: Contemporary Poetry
UC 110: Learning Strategies
UC 115: The University Experience
EDL 306: Leadership
EDL 301: Residence Hall Life
EDL 100: Career Development for the College Student
Awards and Honors
- Teaching Fellow, Creative Writing and Innovative Pedagogies Conference, University of Central Missouri, forthcoming October 2015.
- Runner-Up, Sundress Publications Summer Flash Showdown Round 4 for “Housekeeping,” August 2015.
- 2nd Place, Southern Shakespeare Festival Sonnet Contest, 2015.
- Finalist, Dana Award in Poetry, 2014.
- Nomination for Pushcart Prize, 2014 for “Dorothy, Returning” from Gingerbread House.
- Semi-finalist, 42 Miles Press Book Contest, 2014.
- Semi-finalist, Kind of a Hurricane Editor’s Choice, 2014.
- Nomination for Best of the Net Anthology 2013 for “You, Motorcycle, Me, Mini-Van” from Vinyl Poetry.
- Finalist in Quercus Review’s Book Contest, 2013.
- Finalist, Able Muse Book Contest, 2013.
- 1st place (under 10 lines), Science Fiction Poetry Association Speculative Poetry Contest 2013 (judged by Jane Yolen) for the poem “Spell No One Said at Her Birth.”
- George S. Harper Award for Critical Writing at Florida State University, 2013.
- Semi-finalist for the Elixir Press Antivenom Prize for Emergency Preparedness, 2012.
- J. M. Shaw Academy of American Poets Award, 2012.
- Nominated by FSU Creative Writing faculty for AWP Intro Awards, 2011.
- More-Than-Honorable-Mention, Triolet Challenge, Roundeau Roundup for “Film Noir at the Courthouse Door,” 2010.
- Finalist, Chapbook Competition, Wick Poetry Prize, A Crash Course in the Philosophy of Passion, 2010.
- Honorable Mention, Chapbook Competition, Earth’s Daughters, My Life In Runes, 2009.
- Winner, Rescue Magazine Essay Contest, “No Wonder,” 2005.
- Director, Editing Internships, Florida State University, 2015-present.
- Advisor, The Kudzu Review (on-line and print undergraduate literary journal), 2013-2014
- Advisor, The Grayfarer Review (on-line undergraduate student literary journal), Summer 2012
- Co-President, ACES (English Graduate Student Committee), Florida State University, 2011-12
- Co-Host, Warehouse Reading Series, Tallahassee, FL, Summer 2011
- Judge for Leon County Library 8th Annual Teen Poetry Slam, April 2011
- Judge for Abilene Writers Guild Annual Contest 2010/2011, February 2011
- Reader for Brevity: A Journal of Concise Nonfiction, 2008-09
- Reader for New Ohio Review, 2007-10
- Reader for Quarter After Eight: A Journal of Prose and Commentary, 2007-10
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Programs Advocacy Committee, OU, 2001-07
- Co-Chair, Activities and Programming Sub-Committee of the Coalition Advocating Responsible Drinking Decisions, OU, 2001-04
- Chair, Late Night Advisory Board, OU, 2003-04
- Collaborative Programming Board, OU, 2003-04
- Administrative Senate Professional Development Committee, OU, 2003-04
- Student Affairs Diversity Task Force, OU, 2001-02
- National Coalition Building Institute Training, Training the Trainer (Diversity and Leadership Training): 2005
- Community Conflict Mediation Training: 2000